Liposuction is gradually becoming a household name among many female celebrities in Ghana and abroad.
Gone are the days we thought we thought anybody’s enhancement procedure was mainly for foreign celebrities.
These days local celebrities in the likes of Kisa Gkekle, Moesha Buduong, Sandra Ankobia, Afia Schwarzenegger, Tacha of BBNaija fame and just recently Nana Ama Mcbrown have all joined the bandwagon of female celebrities who have gone under the knife.
The actions of these celebrities have forced a lot of young ladies who want to have similar body shapes to start looking for ways to also go through the surgical procedure.
But before that, let’s dive into what Liposuction is and what it means to have the procedure done.
Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure used to remove unwanted body fat. It involves sucking out small areas of fat that are hard to lose through exercise and a healthy diet. It’s carried out on areas of the body where deposits of fat tend to collect, such as the buttocks, hips, thighs and tummy.
Let’s start with the benefits of liposuction.
- Improved Self Esteem: Liposuction helps to boost your confidence as a woman. Imagine removing all the unwanted fats from your belly and being able to rock your favourite dress without any hustle.
- It aids in weight loss: Liposuction is used to help people lose weight. Hundreds of thousands of individuals have lost weight and been able to start a new life.
The main purpose of this surgery is to help people lose weight. It involves the direct removal of body fat, it’s like an instant weight loss solution.
- Reduces blood fat: In 2011, a study was completed of 229 people that had liposuction. Before the surgery, a large percentage of these individuals had high levels of triglycerides. All of the patients had a three-month follow-up visit.
Participants with high blood fat levels before the surgery benefited from a 43 per cent reduction in triglycerides.
Most medications that reduce cholesterol only provide a reduction in triglycerides of 20 per cent.
- Healthier lifestyle and better mobility: If your weight is always getting in the way of your daily activities, liposuction tends to help with that. Since it’s a drastic weight loss procedure, you are forced to eat healthy to maintain the weight after the weight loss procedure.
Now that we have given you four benefits of liposuction, let’s go to the side effects.
When you gain weight, fat cells increase in size and volume. In turn, liposuction reduces the number of fat cells in a specific area. The amount of fat removed depends on the appearance of the area and the volume of fat.
- Liposuction doesn’t improve cellulite dimpling or other skin surface irregularities like stretch marks, scars etc.
- Contour irregularities. Your skin may appear bumpy, wavy or withered due to uneven fat removal, poor skin elasticity and unusual healing. These changes may be permanent. Damage beneath the skin from the thin tube (cannula) that’s used during liposuction may give the skin a permanent spotted appearance.
- Numbness. You may feel temporary or permanent numbness in the affected area. Temporary nerve irritation also is possible.
- Infection. Skin infections are rare but possible. A severe skin infection may be life-threatening. This often happens when you don’t go to the right doctor for the procedure or the world is not properly cleaned and treated.
- Kidney and heart problems. Shifts in fluid levels as fluids are being injected and suctioned out can cause potentially life-threatening kidney, heart and lung problems.
The risk of complications increases if the surgeon is working on larger surfaces of your body or doing multiple procedures during the same operation. Talk to your surgeon about how these risks apply to you.
We know that any surgical procedure costs a lot of money so let’s discuss the possible amounts involved in doing the procedure.
The average cost of liposuction is $3,637, according to 2020 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. This average cost is only part of the total price. It does not include anaesthesia, operating room facilities or other related expenses.
Before you undergo any surgical procedure, make sure you have the money for the maintenance. Because it’s not just augmenting your body, you need to maintain it and that is an extra cost most people ignore.
Also, speak with your doctor before you undergo it.