John Drew Barrymore was an American film actor and member of the Barrymore family of actors, which included his father, John Barrymore, and his father’s siblings, Lionel and Ethel. Drew had four children which include John Blyth Barrymore, Drew Barrymore, John Blyth Barrymore and Blyth Dolores Barrymore.
John Drew Barrymore Biography
Drew was born on 4th June 1932 in Los Angeles to John Barrymore (father) and Dolores Costello (mother). Both parents were actors and they separated when John was only 18 months.
John was educated at the Hollywood Professional School and some other private schools. At the age of 17, he began his acting career however, his mother tried to dissuade him from entering the film industry by sending him to St. John’s Military Academy. John and his cousin Dirk Drew Davenport were later sent home after posing as 17-year-olds.
Barrymore began his acting career as Jeff Cloud in the movie dubbed “The Sundowners” in 1950. He was featured in countless movies. Let’s check a few below.
- The Sundowners (1950) – Jeff Cloud, the Younger Brother
- High Lonesome (1950) – Cooncat
- Quebec (1951) – Mark Douglas
- The Big Night (1951) – George La Main
- Thunderbirds (1952) – Pvt. Tom McCreery
- While the City Sleeps (1956) – Robert Manners
- The Shadow on the Window (1957) – Jess Reber
- High School Confidential (1958) – J.I. Coleridge
- Never Love a Stranger (1958) – Francis ‘Frankie’ Kane
- Desilu Playhouse (1958, episode: “Silent Thunder”)
- Wagon Train (1958, episode: “The Ruttledge Munroe Story”) – Ruttledge Munroe
- Rawhide (1959–1965, TV series) – Danny Hawks / Harry Eccles / Harry Tasunka
- Night of the Quarter Moon (1959) – Roderic ‘Chuck’ Nelson
- The Cossacks (1960) – Jamal
- The Night They Killed Rasputin (1960) – Prince Felix Yousoupoff
- Ti aspetterò all’inferno (1960) – Walter
- The Pharaohs’ Woman (1960) – Sabaku prince of Bubastis
- The Centurion (1961) – Diaeus
- The Trojan Horse (1961) – Ulysses
- Pontius Pilate (1962) – Judas / Jesus
- Invasion 1700 (1962) – Bohun
- Weapons of War (1963) – Lotario Duchesca
- The Keeler Affair (1963) – Dr Stephen Ward
- Natika (1963)
- Rome Against Rome (AKA War of the Zombies) (1964) – Aderbad
- Death on the Four Poster (1964) – Anthony
- Crimine a due (1964) – Paul Morand
- The Wild Wild West (1965, episode: “The Night of the Double-Edged Knife”) – American Knife
- Gunsmoke (1965, TV series) – Mace Gore / Anderson
- Winchester ’73 (1967, TV movie) – Preacher
- The Clones (1973) – Brooks Brothers Hippie
- Kung Fu (1974, episode: “A Dream Within a Dream”) – Alex McGregor
- Baby Blue Marine (1976)
John Drew Barrymore’s Wife & Children
Drew was married 4 times and had 4 children in all. He was married to Cara Williams from 1953 to 1959, Gabriella Palazzoli from 1960 to 1970, Jaid Barrymore from 1971 to 1984, and Nina Wayne from 1985 to 1994. Drew also had four children which include John Blyth Barrymore, Drew Barrymore, John Blyth Barrymore and Blyth Dolores Barrymore.
John Drew Barrymore’s Death
The actor died at the age of 72 years in Los Angeles, California, U.S. on November 29, 2004.