Benjamin Mendy, a Manchester City footballer, will remain in custody until early next year before his trial on four rape and one sex assault charges against three women
Mendy, who spoke only to confirm his name during the 45-minute hearing at Chester Crown Court, where his trial date was set for January 24, 2022, is accused of four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
The 27-year-old sat in the dock and listened to proceedings that were translated to him by a French interpreter.
The charges were not laid against him, and no pleas were entered during the hearing, which was mostly about administrative matters before the trial.
A new hearing will be held on November 15, and Mendy’s lawyer, Eleanor Laws QC, has said that an application to dismiss the charges will be filed on that date.
The alleged assaults on three different women, one of whom was under the age of 18, are said to have occurred at his £5 million mansions in Prestbury, Cheshire.
Mendy was charged on August 26 with three counts of rape in connection with an alleged incident in October 2020, as well as sexual assault against a woman in early January of this year.
He’s also accused of raping a woman last month.
The Premier League star was denied bail and is now being held at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool.