It was a total disregard for COVID-19 protocols at the burial of former CEO of the Forestry Commission, and onetime General Secretary of the governing New Patriotic Party, Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie, affectionately called Sir John.
High-ranking politicians, including the President, Nana Akufo-Addo, Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia attended the funeral to bid their colleague farewell.
Some pictures and videos from the event that went viral on social media showed how some mourners were neither wearing nose masks nor observing social distancing.
In one of the videos, scores of NPP supporters who were not wearing nose masks, clad in funeral attire and t-shirts of the late Sir John, huddled around the Vice President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia when his delegation arrived at the funeral grounds.
Others also did not practice social distancing which is one of the measures outlined by the World Health Organization (WHO) to tackle the pandemic.
Whiles these individuals breached the protocols, some Executive members of governments and top officials who were at the grounds did nothing to contain the crowd who literally didn’t care about the effects of the mass gathering.
Below is a list of the Executive Law Breakers: The key individuals who were present at the late Sir John’s funeral as published by Joy News.
1. President Akufo Addo
2. Vice President Dr Mahamadu Bawumia
3. Chief Justice, Justice Kwasi Anim Yeboah
4. Mr Alan Kyerematen – Minister of Trade and Industry
5. Mr Kwasi Mensah Duku – Ashanti Regional Police Commander
6. Mr Johnson Asiedu Nketia – General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress
7. Mr Augustus Andrews Nana Kwasi – Ashanti Regional Chairman of the National Democratic Congress (NDC)
8. Chief of Staff, Mrs Akosua Frema Osei Opare
9. Mrs Ursula Owusu-Ekuful – Minister of Communications
10. Mr Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu – Majority Leader of Parliament