The Armour of God signifies the preparedness of the Christian soldier in a spiritual battle. The Christian as a soldier is taken from Ephesians 6 verses 11 to 17. Now, how much do you know about the armour of God? Let’s find out below.
The Christian As A Soldier
The Bible symbolises the Christian as a soldier battling demons in the realms of the spirit. As a soldier, there are attires you must put on. The following are some of the clothes the Christian soldier must put on according to Ephesians 6:10-18
(10) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. (11) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. (12) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (13) Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (14) Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; (15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; (16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. (17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (18) Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.
The Armour of God Interpretation
The armour of God as described by the Bible is 6 pieces of items which forms part of the body armour of the soldier. They are
- The Belt of Truth: “Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist,”. In Christianity, truth is very important. We must hold on to the truth. The devil hates the truth and so no matter what we must say the truth.
- The Breastplate of Righteousness: “…with the breastplate of righteousness in place…”. God hates sin and so as Christians, one of the biggest weapons against the devil is to put on the righteousness of God through Christ.
- The Gospel of Peace: “…and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace”. The Gospel is the truth about the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus. We must preach about the work of Jesus on the cross of Calvary. We must let people know that Christ indeed loves them and in this way take the lost from the path of destruction.
- The Shield of Faith: “In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith,”. Faith is believing in something though it is yet to be seen. The enemy might us but believing in the protection of God through faith will save us. We must also trust in the provision of God so we are not taken away by the desires of the world.
- The Helmet of Salvation: “Take the helmet of salvation,”. The human head is very precious. At the construction site, workers wear it to prevent stones and other heavy items from hitting the head directly. Motor riders also use this. In warfare, the helmet is very important. However, the helmet of salvation is the gift of eternal life we have after accepting Christ.
- The sword of the spirit: “…and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God”. The word of God is one of the strongest weapons against the enemy. By trusting and believing in the word of God, the enemy’s foundation begins to shake.