Find out who Robert Card is, the man identified as a person with interest in the Lewiston shootings, and get an update.
Who is Robert Card?
Robert Card is a man allegedly accused of having an interest in the massacre and has been described as an “armed and dangerous” person by the police.
A photo of a man who has been recognised as a person of interest in the tragedy has been made public by Lewiston local police. The police have labelled Robert Card, the alleged accused, as “armed and dangerous”.
What happened in Lewiston?
In two mass shooting occurrences in Maine’s Lewiston city on Wednesday night, at least 22 people were slain and over 50 injured, according to local officials.
According to City Councillor Robert McCarthy, there have been 22 fatal shootings in the city, including at a Walmart distribution centre, a neighbourhood bar, and a bowling alley.
“My understanding is that they have a tentative identification… of the shooter at the bowling alley, confirmed 22 dead, many, many more injured,” McCarthy said.
“Law Enforcement is attempting to locate Robert Card 4/4/1983, as a person of interest regarding the mass shooting at Schemengees Bar and Sparetime Recreation this evening. The suspect, Card, should be considered armed and dangerous. Please contact law enforcement if you are aware of his whereabouts,” the police notification read.
Card,40, is a firearms instructor in the US Army Reserve. Law enforcement claims that Card recently revealed mental health difficulties, including hearing voices and threats to shoot up the Saco National Guard Base. It was also said that in the summer of 2023, he spent two weeks in a mental health facility before being released.
Card has a record of arrests for numerous offences, including domestic abuse, according to a Macra investigation.
Two images of a man brandishing what looked to be a semi-automatic gun were earlier posted by the police on Facebook on Wednesday night. The images displayed a bearded man brandishing a gun in the firing position while wearing pants and a brown hoodie.
Lewiston residents are asked to remain inside their homes by the police. “Lewiston has a shooter who is still active. We request that people stay indoors. Please lock your doors and remain inside your house. Multiple places are currently under investigation by law enforcement,” the Maine State Police stated on X (previously Twitter).
Update from President Joe Biden
The most recent information regarding the tragic shootings in Lewiston was provided to US President Joe Biden. According to the White House, Biden discussed the incident with Senators Angus King and Susan Collins, Congressman Jared Golden, and Maine Governor Janet Mills. In the wake of the horrifying assault, Biden offered full federal support.
Following gunfire on Wednesday at a restaurant and a bowling alley in Lewiston, news of the mass shooting incident there broke.