Ghana is approaching general elections in December 2020 hence, all the political parties are rounding up their internal preparations for the big day to come out victorious.
We recently published that flagbearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress(NDC) John Dramani Mahama has officially announced his presidential running mate for the upcoming elections.
He chose no other than a highly esteemed woman, Prof. Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang and Ghanaians have reacted in several ways. Many people would be wondering who the woman is, what she does, and how prominent she has been in the political party for John Mahama to choose her as his running mate.
According to our research, this woman is a very strong and smart politician and we can simply say John Mahama chose her over several men in their party as a strategy to prove that women can equally do the job.
It might interest you to know that several women will vote for the NDC to come into power just because their running mate is a woman, taking into consideration the fight for women empowerment in Ghana in recent times.
Here are 5 facts about Prof. Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang:
- Prof. Naana Jane Opoku-Agyemang was the first female Vice-Chancellor in Ghana until her retirement. She assumed this post on October 1, 2008, at the University of Cape Coast.
- She is a former minister of education; she was appointed in 2013 and served until January 2017.
- She hails from Komenda, Central Region. She attended Anglican Girl’s Secondary School at Koforidua and Aburi Presby Girl’s School.
- She had her secondary education at the Wesley Girls High School in Cape Coast from 1964 to 1971, where she was the School Prefect in her final year.
- She completed B. A.(Hons), Ed. at the University of Cape Coast in 1977 and obtained her Masters and Doctorate degrees from York University in Toronto, Canada in 1980 and 1986 respectively.
Now you know some things about her; in the coming days, we will be having a detailed profile about her. Keep reading from GhBase.com for the latest news and gossip.