Eminem is counted as one of the top music artists worldwide with a net worth of around $230 million. He made his debut in 1998 with his Slim Shady album. Since then, He has proved to be one of the finest artists with album sales of about 220 million worldwide.
Eminem’s Beginnings and Road to fame
Marshall Bruce Mathers III popularly known as Eminem was born on October 17, 1972. He is the only child of the parents: Marshall Bruce Mathers Jr. and Deborah Rae and was raised in St. Joseph, Missouri. As a child, young Marshall Bruce Mathers III was fond of storytelling and aspired to be a comic writer.
Eminem first went on stage with the name MC Double M with a group New Jacks. They then made a demo song. Later in 1989, he joined Bassmint Productions who later became “Soul Intent” with another rapper called, Proof and some childhood friends. In 1996, Eminem and Proof formed a group with four other rappers called “The Dirty Dozen”. They then released their first album in 2001. At the age of 20, Eminem was arrested for his involvement in a paintball gun shooting. However, he was released after the victim didn’t show up in court.
Eminem’s debut album “Infinite” in 1996 was a commercial failure. He was then signed to Jeff and Mark Bass’s F.B.T Productions. With much desire to succeed, Eminem later developed another imaginary self he called “Slim Shady“. This new character allowed him to express his anger in his songs about rape, murder, and drugs. In 1997, he recorded another EP called “The Slim Shady Ep”. This particular EP talked about drug use, sexual acts, mental instability, and violence. Hip hop magazine The Source featured Eminem in its “Unsigned Hype” column in March 1998.
In 1997, Eminem placed second in Rap Olympics, an annual nationwide rap battle competition. After top producer, Dr. Dre heard his Slim Shady EP, he requested for Eminem and later did a series of productive recording sections with him. Eminem later released The Slim Shady LP in 1999 and faced a lot of criticisms for copying another underground rapper called Cage.
Despite many ups and downs, Eminem will not give up. He released another album called “Recovery” which was recorded from 2009 to 2010 and was released on June 18. In the US, Recovery became a hit, topped the Billboard 200 Chart and a record sale of about 741,000 copies. The Recovery topped the Billboard chart for five consecutive weeks. Billboard reported that “Recovery” in 2010 was the best-selling album that year. One of its singles “Not Afraid” was released on April 29 and went on top of Billboard 100. Statistically, both Recovery and The Eminem Show broke the record for the most successive US number-one albums by a solo artist.
Facts About Eminem
- Eminem has about 289 songs
- Eminem worked as a short-order cook at a family restaurant called Gilbert’s Lodge. He was fired five days before Christmas and the experience inspired him to write the song “Rock Bottom.”
- Eminem had his big break in 1997 when we traveled to Los Angeles to compete in the Rap Olympics competition. Despite being in the second position, his performance impressed one of the judges who later linked him to Dr. Dre.
- At the rehab center, Eminem substituted book reading to drugs and alcohol which he was leaving behind.
- Eminem’s best friend was shot and killed after a fight that broke out over a game of pool. His friend Proof was the best man in Eminem’s second wedding to Kim Mathers.
- Eminem confessed he used to take 40 and 60 valiums and 30 Vicodin per day.
- Dr. Dre revealed that Eminem is one of the hard-working artists he has ever worked with.
- Eminem entered the Guinness World Records for the most words in a hit song. The song was the 2013 single “Rap God.”
- Eminem was sued by his mother for revealing in the song “My Name Is that she smoked more dope. He was sued for defamation.
- Eminem quit high school after failing ninth grade a total of three times.
- In 2001, Eminem claimed that he was in a relationship with popular pop star Mariah Carey but she denied the claim.
- Michael Jackson was once a fan of Eminem, however, Eminem attacked him in one of his songs “Just Lose It”.
Eminem’s Net Worth
Top music artist, Eminem is a top talent and he is currently has a net worth of around $230 million
Eminem’s Achievements and Records
- Eminem has a global sales of over 220 million making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time.
- He was the best-selling music artist from 2000 to 2009 in the US.
- He has sold over 47.4 million albums in the US and 107.5 million singles in the country.
- Eminem has over ten billion views on his videos on YouTube.
- Spotify named him in 2014 as the most-streamed artist of all time.
- Eminem has 15 Grammy Awards, 8 American Music Awards, and 17 Billboard Music Awards.
- Billboard named him the artist of the Decade from 2000 to 2009.
- He also won the MTN Movie and TV Awards for the Best Actor in a movie, etc.
Eminem’s Wife and Family
Eminem’s ex-wife was Kimberly Scott. They started dating when they were teenagers. They have a daughter but after marrying in 1999, divorce set them apart. After some years, they came together only to divorce again after some months. After his ex-wife, the rapper has had a lot of crushes on several women which include the following: Rhianna, Salma Hayek, Mariah Carey, Brittany Murphy, etc.
Eminem is simply one of the best-rated artists and has worked with other several artists over the years. He is still on top of his game and has a net worth of about $230 million.