Medical Expert Warns People To Stop Eating ‘Gari Soakings’

Gari is an indispensable meal which is popular in West Africa especially Ghana and Nigeria. However one Nigerian medical expert has warned that the ‘versatile meal’ could be dangerous in some aspects (soaked gari).

- Advertisement -

The doctor whose name is Dr Boniface Okolo said soaked gari (or gari soakings as it’s called here in Ghana) causes Lassa Fever as the rodents that cause this disease are often in contact with gari, during an interview with with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

He added that it was necessary to discourage consumption of soaked gari since it did not require boiled water. Okolo noted that boiled water could go a long way to kill bacteria caused by pest or rodents in gari.

“We in the state health ministry are waging total war against rodents through sensitisation, that is what we are doing to ensure we do not have victim of Lassa fever in the state.

“We are also sensitising the public to ensure that their fruits and raw vegetables are properly washed if they must be consumed them raw and cook to the appropriate temperature.

“The best practices for food storage should be encouraged to prevent epidemic. ”We should always make sure that we use air-tight clean plastic containers to preserve our foodstuff to avoid Lassa fever and other diseases,” he said.



- Advertisement -
I'm an award-winning Ghanaian blogger. I lurk in your shadows and prick your conscience with my modus operandi. Ultimately, I thrill you with my out of the box reportage.

Leave a Reply

Latest News

‘My mother gave me rat poison to put in my father’s food’ – Little girl confesses amidst tears (Watch)

A young Nigerian girl has been spotted confessing that her mother allegedly gave her rat poison to put in...

Top Stories

More Articles Like This